Jessica Jones

 


Image result for jessica jones netflix
 

Yesterday, I finished binge-watching Marvel's 'Jessica Jones' and it is aggressively brilliant!
I literally cannot get over the action, violence and constant pump of emotion that this show bought to the screen.
   
                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                                                
                                                                       
Image result for jessica jones netflix Kilgrave

To be honest with you, I only decided to watch the show because I knew that David Tennant was starring. I've loved Tennant since he became the tenth Doctor in Doctor Who.
I loved his energetic mannerisms, his trademark dirty converse and of course...his hair. I was much younger, but I adored everything about the character and Tennant himself. I waited for the times that, that little blue box would just appear in front of me and the Doctor would swish me away to some long lost and unexplored planets.
And then came along Broadchurch, an original ITV crime drama, David Tennant was a great Detective, he strategically hunted down the child-killer (although he did face some difficulties), and brought justice to the family and beachside village.
Tennant has always played the good guy.
A Doctor, a Detective, a Husband and a Father.

So I was genuinely surprised when it was announced that David Tennant was to play Marvel villain 'Kilgrave.'
Now, I'm not completely stupid when it comes to Marvel. I've seen Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, Captain America, Ant-man, Spider man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D all on the screen. I'm no stranger when it comes to the marvelverse...

But I was worried.
A villain? Tennant?
I was so excited, I had to see this series...and it only took me two days to finish the series (It would have been one, if I didn't have College work.)

I was immediately in love...
Tennant first appeared as Kilgrave, only as a nightmare in Jessica Jones' mind-eye. We first saw him in person, however, in episode two. Kilgrave - an evil villain who can control people's minds - is eerily creepy and obsessive.
His main goal: To persuade Jessica Jones to be his lover.
I know he's the villain...but I actually felt for this character. Abandoned his whole life - especially by his mad scientist parents, all this man has had is his powers. He has never been really loved - so he does the one thing he knows...
Makes Jessica love him.
Tennant played Kilgrave brilliantly. He was all violent, aggressive, funny, charming and obsessive - a perfect two-faced, controlling super-villain!
David Tennant was a great choice for this part! His impressive ability to express emotion and become anyone he wants to, is both cool and talented.

The only real thing that I hated about the character, was that Tennant had to drop his Scottish accent for the part. Tennant was always good at this, but I love his accent. There's also the fact that in the final episode (13), I was rooting for Kilgrave.
I did not want him to die!
And Jessica snapped his neck!
I was genuinely sad and shocked by this scene. Kilgrave was a great Villain and Jessica the ultimate Heroine - surely without Kilgrave there is no heroism?
Although season 2 has yet to be confirmed - I really wanted to see Kilgrave again (and of course David Tennant!)




And then there's the main character. Jessica Jones portrayed by Krysten Ritter,
is both Kilgrave's victim and an impressive Private Investigator.
She possess both super strength and everything that goes against the gender stereotype within the media. I love how this character is a tomboy - she doesn't possess the 'girly' sparkling power to fly and all that stereotypical trash.
Jessica Jones is a strong, sassy, independent woman who can hold her own in society and in a fight. She presents the women of today.
                                         Haunted by memories of her abduction...Jessica Jones immediately sets out to help others. She starts by trying to find a missing girl named Hope. I was genuinely surprised when I realised that Kilgrave had brainwashed Hope to kill her own parents. I hated him and everything that he put her through - a vulnerable and sweet girl, turned killer. I really hoped that Jessica would save her and was devastated when this was not the case.

Anyway, Jessica Jones was marvellous. What was weird though, was that I seemed to root more for Kilgrave than our heroine Jessica Jones. I think that this was probably because I have more of a connection with David Tennant. I did not know of the actress Krysten Ritter, until I watched this Marvel series. I did, however, like the fact that Jessica would not admit to herself as being a hero- I guess this made it a little more easier to connect with her character. She fought for the lives of her friends, and in her eye that did not make her a heroine. Sure she saved many others, but that was not her aim.

I loved how the series clearly implied that no one is a hero. Just because you simply help a friend or a family member - even save a couple of lives - you are doing what is morally right. Its a case of ethics and semantics....



Voted: *****                                                   
Image result for jessica jones netflix                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Comments