A Love Letter To 'Reign'



You can probably tell from the name of this blog that I have many obsessions and among the growing list of my much loved TV series comes Reign!
I didn't even know the show existed until I stumbled upon it on Netflix. Netflix is just not helping - as addictive as it is to binge on the website, Netflix always manages to find me new TV shows to obsess over. And Reign is no different...

I started watching the first season and before I knew it, I had whizzed through all four!
You know when you binge-watch a show that you really love but you don't want to rush through every episode because you don't want it to end? Well...I kind of did and now its over. It was just so addictive and nearly every episode ended with a cliffhanger that left me wanting more.
I mean, what's not addictive about a show that has a fairly attractive cast, beautiful soundtracks that feature in each and every episode, incredible costumes (those gowns are to die for!), stunning jewelry, and intricate hairstyles. Not forgetting the romance, passion, sex, murder, betrayal, secrecy, power-struggles and supernatural elements that feature throughout the series. It has everything that a young woman (and maybe a young man) loves and more.

I mean, at first I was skeptical about the show but then halfway through the first episode I realised that the series contained beautiful music that made the show seem more modern and the soundtracks used are really quirky - especially since the show is set within the 1500s. I must admit that the first thing that attracts me to a series is the music and soundtracks and the music used throughout the seasons was fresh and modern and beautiful and helped to really set the scene. I even downloaded some of the songs that were used in the series to my phone because they are just that good and haunting.*

I also loved the romantic storyline between Mary Queen of Scots (Adelaide Kane) and Prince/King Francis of France (Tony Regbo) and their arranged marriage. It was strange to see the Monarchs cast as young adults but also attractive and key to gaining such a young TV audience. I loved seeing these two together - especially since their marriage to one another was a key and historical fact - this is what made the death of Francis even more sad and heartbreaking because I know that it actually happened. This is also what made the series finale so special and gut-wrenching; from seeing young Mary happy and in love to a grieving widow and then to see her beheaded in the finale and reunited with Francis in the end - I felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest. It was just so emotional and peaceful.
I loved Mary's progression throughout the seasons from a young Queen hiding in a convent to a powerful and strong woman who could make her own decisions for her Country - it was just sad to see her progress without Francis by her side.



Although the series centered around a young Mary Queen of Scots and her reign, I loved the trouble, betrayal, plotting and scheming that happened within the French Court and the relationships between each of the characters.
From the Queen of France to the Regent of France, Catherine de' Medici (Megan Follows), was a favourite character of mine.
As mentioned in former posts; I love characters who are often misunderstood and fiercely loyal - often conceived as evil by other characters. I admit that Catherine's actions were often unforgivable and absolutely horrible (not that she didn't deserve to be thrown in the dungeon), but I must admit that most of Catherine's poor choices and undesirable behaviour was because of her loyalty and fierce love for her family. Everything she did, she did for the good of her family and for the love of her Country - which made Catherine such a formidable character who was often misunderstood and defined by the darkness of her deeds and the damage that they often did.
I must admit that Catherine and Narcisse are my ultimate power-couple and I loved the trouble that they concocted together as well as the passionate relationship between them. They truly were a force to be reckoned with.



Another force to be reckoned with was Queen Elizabeth of England (Rachel Skarsten). I loved her strong independence and how, unlike Mary, Elizabeth did not let a man define her or her position at Court. She was intelligent, loyal, loving, skillful, harsh, independent and confident - something admirable in a woman, especially one from the 1500s.
After hearing so much about Queen Elizabeth and her antics in England throughout the early seasons of the show, it was nice to finally see her in season two and onwards to season 4. Rachel Skarsten played Elizabeth beautifully and ruthlessly, I only wish that she had at least one scene with her Cousin, Mary. After their ongoing power-struggle throughout the series, it would have been interesting to see the two strong and powerful women interact face-to-face.



I also regret at the end of the series, not knowing what happened to Mary's friend, Lady Kenna and her baby.
There is also the mystery of Bash's whereabouts and disappearance - since he hadn't been seen since the third season. I would also have loved to see Narcisse grieve over the murder of his wife, Lola and the progression of his character after his vengeance spree.
The progressive relationship between Charles and Henry, and Claude and Luc and Catherine and Margot would also have been interesting to see. Which is why I feel the season finale was rushed and why I wish the writers would have taken the time to write and film a couple of extra episodes just to round everything up nicely. I feel like the series finale was mean't to be a season finale only, because of its rushed ending at the French court and the numerous time jumps that took place throughout season 4 - however, I enjoyed the dark turn that the French Court had taken in the last episode.

Although the series finale could have been improved, I do believe that Reign is one of the best shows of Historical Fiction that I have ever seen and I am secretly in love with historical fiction and drama. Reign makes the top of the list of the other numerous historical dramas that I adore like Outlander, Victoria, The Crown, The White Princess, Downton Abbey, Mr Selfridge and Murdoch Mysteries. And once I recover from the heartbreaking and earth-shattering series finale of Reign, I aim to watch Salem - an historical fiction series that tells the story of the witch trials (also on Netflix).

This is simply a love letter to history.




* Top 7 Soundtracks to listen to ~
1) Ruelle ~ Daydream
2) Meeting of minds ~ We Are Bound
3) Laura Jansen ~ A Call To Arms
4) Bird ~ A War
5) Claire Wyndham ~ Kingdom Fall
6) Yael Meyer ~ The Hunt
7) The Lumineers ~ Scotland

Comments